Monday, March 9, 2009

What Grade 4/5 students think about Love

I asked the same grade 4/5 students at Van Bien what they thought about "love." :) One day I called them all to the carpet and I asked them a bunch of questions to get them thinking more deeply about love. I reinforced that love cannot truly be described and that there is no right or wrong answer. Here they are:

*"The best way you can love anyone is to be yourself (to be the best you that you can be)." What does this mean?
*If love is something that you give, could you ever run out of it?
*Where does love come from?
*Is love something that you are? What is love made of?
*When somebody loves you, do you automatically love them back? (is love unconditional, a two-way street?)
*Do you think there is a limit to how many people you can love?
*Do you think you could love someone you have never met? (i.e. favourite hockey player, actor)
*Is love for everyone and everything? Does a flower only smell nice for kind people? Does the sun only shine on people who are friendly? Do you think we could be like the flower and sun?

What do you think? :)

Here is what some of the students said about love:

"Love is important to me because what would we be if we did not love one another?!"

"Love is important because we wouldn't be here."

"Because if there were no love, only big strong people would be alive." *lol* :)

"I know I'm accepted."

"Because without love people would all hate and hurt each other which isn't right."

"Love is important because if there was no such thing, I wouldn't be here because my Mom wouldn't have met my Dad."

"People stand around each other holding shoulders." (Isn't that a beautiful image?)

No comments:

Post a Comment